It’s Never too Early to Get Your Car Winter Ready with NAPA AutoPro
We hope you’ve had a great summer filled with lots of family-fun adventures! Chauffeuring kids here, there and everywhere? You’re not alone. With everyone “Going Back”, why not bring your vehicle back to Searles Auto? We’ll ensure your vehicle’s ready for Victoria’s rainy season, aka Winter.
You may think your car’s running fine. But ignoring an illuminated “check engine light” can result in serious engine trouble and costly repairs. At the very least, this warning light could alert you to an engine problem that is negatively impacting fuel economy. So it’s best to book an appointment at Searles Auto – Voted “Best of the City” yet again, as the most trusted Auto Repair destination in town!
Book now for $99.95 + taxes.
Why are regular vehicle tune-ups so important?
The process of inspecting, diagnosing, testing and adjusting or replacing parts on your car is vital. If left unchecked, any number of factors could decrease your engine’s performance or lead to other problems. A basic tune-up includes removing & inspecting ignition coils and spark plugs and replacing them if necessary. On older vehicles, we inspect the distributor cap and rotor for wear & cracks as this could lead to metal corrosion and cause your car to misfire. These parts should be replaced at recommended intervals or if they show excessive wear. Other systems checks include: brakes, clutch, fuel lines, hoses and belts.
For today’s cars equipped with electronic ignition and at least one on-board computer that automatically adjusts fuel mixture, ignition timing and idle speed, “engine performance maintenance” is a more accurate term. But whatever you call it, it’s necessary to have it serviced at least once a year to maintain peak engine performance or restore the engine to its original operating efficiency. Here are some other maintenance tips, you might not have thought of:
- Replace your floor mats. The thick rubber construction and deep grooves of floor mats helps keep the mud and slush from staining your carpets.
- Install new wiper blades. Between cold temperatures and perpetual dirt and grime of the road, wear-and-tear on your wipers increases significantly from season-to-season.
We can also help with these items on your to-do list:
- Check your battery. Similar to windshield wipers, the wear-&-tear on it, is also much harsher as cold weather tends to drain them. As Tim-the-Toolman used to say on Home Improvement: Your engine requires “MORE POWER” to start in the cold.
- Replace your oil and oil filter. The cold makes your vehicle’s oil thicker/more viscous, which places increased strain on your engine when starting. New oil stays runnier when cold, which makes it easier to start.
- Check your defrosters and heaters. It goes without saying that your vehicle’s defrosters and heaters are crucial for driving especially Up Island. Therefore, it’s ideal to check them before you need to rely on them, so that any malfunctioning can be fixed.
How’s your tire pressure? According to the US Tire Manufacturers Association, for every 10 degree temperature drop, tire pressure drops one-to-two PSI. Checking tire pressure ensures vehicle safety, lengthens tire life and helps with gas mileage. Decreased tire pressure can lower gas mileage by 0.3% Now that may not seem like a lot, but with gas prices around $1.50 a litre, checking monthly over the winter will save you money in the long run.
With shorter days & inclement weather ahead, make sure all lights are functioning properly, so that you can see and be seen. Check exterior and interior lights; replace any that are dimming, rapidly blinking or not functioning at all.
Consider installing a back-up detection device that provides rear-view video or warning sounds when moving in reverse. While drivers should not rely solely on these devices, they can help to reduce the risk of backing over something, or worse into someone! And this last one might sound like a “Thanks Captain Obvious “ moment, but please take the time to ensure everyone is BUCKLED UP and child safety door locks are set. In all the excitement, it’s easy for kids of all ages to be distracted. If you make car safety your number one priority, so will they.
Lastly, don’t go too long between visits to the car wash. Really? Yup! Going too long without a wash not only reduces visibility, but also subjects your vehicle to a big buildup of damaging chemicals and dirt. And that could lead to something no one wants…RUST!
Celebrating 25 years as part of Searles’ unparalleled customer service, NAPA AutoPro is offering this incredible Fall & Winter Special: Book an oil, lube & filter, tire rotation and comprehensive multi-point visual inspection and you’ll be entered-to-win: One of 75 Arlo Home Security Systems from our friends at NAPA AutoPro.